I am an experienced writer, editor, and educator with a PhD in art history launching a freelance editing practice.
I specialize in helping authors in art history and other humanities fields prepare scholarship for publication. I also offer consulting and editing services for materials such as fellowship applications, educational materials, art criticism, and artist statements. I am passionate about clear, compelling writing, and love to help people bring their projects to fruition.
- Coaching– As your writing coach, I can support your writing process on a schedule that works for you and helps you meet your deadline. I will meet with you regularly to listen to ideas and give you feedback on drafts, helping to provide structure, accountability, and moral support.
- Consulting– I offer a consulting service in which I read documents, make general comments, and meet with you to discuss my feedback. This works especially well for grant applications, job applications, teaching portfolios, and course development.
- Developmental editing– This service involves one or more passes of in-line editing and comments that provide feedback on the content of your project. I specialize in doing this for academic manuscripts in humanities fields, grant applications, and educational material.
- Copyediting, proofreading, and references/bibliographies– I also offer editing that focuses on the final stages and details. I am able to do this for academic writing but also for magazine articles, reports, websites, etc.
- Copywriting– I am also available to write copy for websites and marketing materials, especially for arts organizations.
I edit using Word or Adobe Acrobat, and am experienced with Chicago, MLA, and AP styles. I can use your publisher or organization’s style sheet or I can create one for your project. I gladly offer discounts for students and for organizations with limited resources.
In addition to my PhD in art history, my publications, and my teaching experience, I have honed my editing skills by completing the Poynter ACES Certificate in Editing, and I am engaged in ongoing training with ACES and the Editorial Freelancers Association. I am always happy to set up a meeting and/or do a 1-2 page sample edit at no charge to see if I can be helpful to you.
Please feel free to reach out to me to discuss your needs!
Years in the field: 14
Years freelancing: 1