I’m Kimberly Schebler—an editor who supports authors at every stage of their work. Sometimes that involves copyediting to enhance grammar and flow, developmental editing to resolve big picture issues, drafting an engaging query letter to that dream agent, or coaching a writer through their entire book.
I love collaborating with authors of magical realism, fabulist, speculative, and literary fiction.
My editing philosophy embraces bending the rules to preserve an author’s voice while always remembering the reader.
You should work with me if you want an editor who can sharpen what makes your work marvelous. I’ll help you create a book that’s both accessible to readers and true to your vision.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in creative writing from SUNY New Paltz.
- Certificate in Copyediting from UC San Diego.
- Editor of Bone Parade.
- Four years as a professional grant writer and editor at a nonprofit.
- Certificate in Editing from The Poynter Institute.
- Editorial Freelancers Association courses completed:
- Advanced Copyediting
- Intermediate Developmental Editing of Fiction
- Advanced Developmental Editing of Fiction
- Book Mapping
- Well versed in the Chicago Manual of Style and the Associated Press Stylebook.
- Continually updates skills by attending editing and writing webinars, workshops, and conferences to stay current on changes is in the publishing industry.
- Active member of the Editorial Freelancers Association, ACES: The Society for Editing, Association of Writers and Writing Programs, and the Freelancers Union.
When I’m not spending time in the publishing world, I’m a small-time adventurer, avid reader, music enthusiast, wonder chaser, D&D player, and proud nerd living in Rhode Island.
Years in the field: 15
Years freelancing: 5