- the wild west mythology of the United States that disappears indigenous and makes way for settling
- society’s views of single mother’s of color
- Mexican American history
- South Texas History
- Mexico/Texas border history before 1848-Mexican revolution
- DIY and the DIY subculture of alternative media in the US in reference to zines and women of color, people of color, timeframe 1990s
- personal experience of zines, zine making since the 90s
- Specific local landmarks in the Rio Grande Valley, TX
- Specific local fauna of the RGV
- the Rio Grande Valley and South Texas area
- Hidalgo, Starr and surrounding counties in Texas
- Rio Grande Valley lore, culture and customs
- General Mexican & Chicanx customs, traditions and lore
- LGBTQIAP+, specializing in transgender (AFAB), nonbinary/genderqueer/genderfluid, asexual and aromantic spectrum characters
- “preachers kid” extremely religious household
- queer identity
- people of color/ Latinx/ racial issues in the US and society, inequality, realization of institutionalized systemic racism as a child, young adult, first generation American, child of immigrants, child of farm workers, child of Spanish speakers, child of diaspora, queer child; all previous also as a teen, etc.
- queer, nonbinary, femme marginalized people of color
- the bracero movement
- bicultural identity
- mujerista feminism
- chicana/chicanx/ latinx identity
- 1st generation children of immigrants
- 1st gen Mexican, Mexican-American 1st gen Puerto-Rican experience
- general sensitivity reading for areas of racism
- neurodiversity & neurodivergency
- parenting on the spectrum
- learning disability
- technology in the future
- autism/people on the spectrum/ girls, women non-binary people on the spectrum
- people of color & disability/ use of tech
- Mental illness, anxiety, depression, post-partum depression, suicidal ideation, PTSD, C-PTSD, generalized &social anxiety
- chronic pain/illness
- scoliosis, arthritis of the spine, myalgic encephalomyelitis
- extended hospital stays
- Encephalomyelitis & brain injuries
- ICU & PICU psychosis or called delirium
My name is Noemi Martinez, she/they/person pronouns, and I offer consultations as a sensitivity reader and cultural editor on manuscripts, articles, video games, scripts, character gaming profiles, graphic novel characters and other creative projects.
I provide editorial services such as manuscript consultations, language editing, feedback and detailed notes.
My areas of concentration are disability, neurodivergency & diversity.
What I do & don’t do
I don’t do line editing and I’m not a beta reader. I’m not a proofreader or a copywriter.
I don’t ask the writer to change plot, scenes, the direction of their work or censor writers in any way. My job is to make notes of areas where a writer has unintentionally written something they never intended to do.
I will and often suggest ways to improve plot, representation, language, location, dialogue, story arcs, settings, traditions, or scenes if they mischaracterize marginalized communities or are inaccurate. I don’t take the place of major research but make sure that the characters are represented accurately. I’ll often cite and give supporting articles of published work of any opinion I may give.
Years in the field: 7
Years freelancing: 7