The session will be a comprehensive overview of the independent publishing process, including ethical, financial, and practical considerations. Figure out where you can fit into the process in a way that works best for you.
At the end of this session you should be able to:
- Explain the book production process to your clients
- Determine the kinds of services that will best help your clients achieve their goals
- Develop a framework for partnering efficiently with other service providers
- Who the clients are
- The questions you need to sort out before you begin
- The stages of the book development process
- Where development editing, line editing, and copyediting fit into the process
- The copyeditor’s involvement beyond getting the text right
- The six design modalities involved in producing a print book
- Guiding the client through to a finished product
Dick Margulis has decades of experience in both editing and typography. In 2004 he started his business producing high-quality books for authors who publish independently.