Increasingly, many journalists are making the jump to freelancing, whether because of retirements, buyouts and layoffs, or simply because they want to transition into a different career with more independence and flexibility.
This webinar will cover:
- Why you might want to be a freelancer
- Best practices to making the transition
- Differences between freelancing and journalism
- What skills you need to learn and what journalism skills will serve you the best
- How to find clients
- How to select a focus for your business
- Business aspects you need to know (invoicing, contracts, creating a website, etc.)
Your instructor is Lourdes Venard, who worked in newspapers for 30 years (Miami Herald, Chicago Tribune, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and Newsday). Now she runs a successful freelance business, Comma Sense Editing, and is a copyediting instructor.