FREE for EFA members!* Sensitivity reads have become an additional check in fiction publishing. This webinar recording will look at how an editor should approach a sensitivity read, what issues it should include, how it differs from developmental and line editing, and how you can become recognized as a sensitivity reader.
Lourdes Venard has more than 30 years of writing and editing experience. After working in journalism, she switched to fiction editing. In both careers, she has always worked to make sure diversity and sensitivity is on the page. She also teaches copyediting courses through EFA and the University of California, San Diego.
Members: When registering, enter the coupon (100% off) during the checkout process. You will receive the code via an eblast from the EFA.
What Is Included:
- What is a sensitivity read?
- Overview or excerpt of a typical sensitivity read
- Why are sensitivity reads in the news now?
- What issues a sensitivity read can include
- How it differs from a developmental and line editing, and at what point it should be done (before or after a developmental edit?)
- How to do a sensitivity read
- What kind of guidelines should a sensitivity reader expect from a writer?
- How do you approach the job – do a cold read first, then flag potential problem areas?
- How to deliver notes – as a one-page analysis, a markup of the document?
- How to identify a manuscript or pieces that may require a sensitivity read
- How to define, recognize, establish standards of acceptable practice, e.g., what is acceptably offensive or appropriative in a given context?
- How do you become a sensitivity reader?
- How to charge (explanations of the going rate, exceptions, etc.)
- How to qualify, both externally, to clients and community, and personally, as a provider of sensitivity reads
- How to become recognized or established
- The established specialist practices beyond editing practices (special markup, terms, communication)
- Where to find resources: Style guides
- Include a packet of articles
*EFA members: Input the coupon code during checkout to register for free for this webinar. Check your email for our message containing the code. If you cannot locate the email, please contact the EFA office.