Spring is here, and in the spirit of all things fresh and new, I’m happy to announce that the EFA Education Program has finalized our addition of a new type of course: self-paced.
This means that, as an EFA student, you now have three course types to choose from, according to your goals, availability, and what works best for your learning style. These course types are:
- Traditional courses
- Self-paced courses (NEW!)
Let’s look at these in more detail.
If you’ve taken a multi-week course with the EFA before, you’re familiar with our traditional courses. These take place over a set number of weeks (usually four to six) and are asynchronous. This means that while you never need to be at your computer at any specific hour, you will have weekly deadlines for submitting homework assignments.
The main benefits of traditional courses are:
- One-on-one feedback on your work
- Direct access to your instructor through email and the student forum (some classes also include live Q&As)
- Weekly lessons, released on a specific day of the week
- High level of feedback from your instructor
- Peer support via the student forum
- Small class size
Live webinars are a great way to learn something new or refresh your knowledge at a low cost and time commitment. All EFA webinars are either 60 or 90 minutes long and include a live Q&A session for attendees. Past webinar recordings are also available for immediate purchase.
The main benefits of webinars are:
- Only a 60- or 90-minute time commitment
- Live training
- Live Q&A
- Low cost
- Most webinars are recorded, and the recording is provided free to anyone who registers for the live event
Over the past year, we have been testing self-paced courses. These courses are an affordable way to learn new skills on a flexible time frame. You receive full access to your course—including in-depth lessons, self-assessments, handouts, and plenty of additional resources—for an entire year. As an added bonus, our self-paced courses include regular live Q&A sessions with your instructor, making them unique.
The main benefits of the new self-paced courses are:
- Low cost
- Freedom to move through the lessons at your own pace
- No wait-lists
- Access to the course for a one-year period (versus only a few weeks with traditional courses)
- Can be a great way to “kick the tires” on a new skill or type of editing you’re considering
- The entire course is available immediately (versus the “dripped” content of traditional courses)
- Regular, live access to your instructor via Zoom Q&A calls
Take a look at all our active Education courses and sign up for one now!
Molly McCowan, Education Chairperson
EFA Board of Governors