Diversity, Equity & Belonging
Click here for the results of our Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Survey!
We’re working to center Diversity, Equity & Belonging throughout the organization. Check back here for changes soon!
The EFA’s Diversity Initiative was formed to support a more diverse membership and promote equitable access for all. In summer 2022, the initiative became the Diversity, Equity & Belonging Community. EFA members in good standing who honor our mission statement and agree to our nondiscrimination statement are welcome to join. If you are interested in joining our email list and Slack workspace, please review the Diversity Initiative information sheet and fill out this form.
If you have more questions about our subinitiatives (Communications, Events & Opportunities, Resources, and Welcome Program), online meetings, and Slack discussion platform, send an email to DEB@the-efa.org.
The Welcome Program offers new members the opportunity to optimize their EFA membership benefits and grow their professional networks. Newcomers are paired with an experienced editorial professional who will offer guidance on how to navigate the EFA. Learn more about the program.
- To support a more diverse membership in the EFA by welcoming members of groups that have historically been marginalized and by promoting equitable access for all
- To publicize the EFA’s diverse membership in order to attract a wide customer base, benefitting potential clients, members, and the organization as a whole
- To connect and support EFA members with educational and professional resources on diversity
- To partner with writers, organizations, and initiatives that seek to promote diversity
- To create and advocate for fair and accurate content that honors the diverse experiences of readers and writers, especially as this relates to race, nationality, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ability
Nondiscrimination Statement (updated June 2022):
We at the Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA) welcome and value members of all backgrounds. We don’t discriminate, but more than that, we want the EFA to be an organization where all can feel they belong. We welcome people of every ability, age, ancestry, belief system, body size or appearance, citizenship, color, culture, education, gender expression, gender identity, health, military status, national or ethnic origin, neurotype, race, parental status, relationship status, religion, sexual orientation, and/or socio-economic background. We are nothing without our members, and encourage everyone to volunteer, to serve on the board, and to participate in our community.
The DEB holds virtual events regularly and supports EFA-wide events that focus on diversity. To see our recent and upcoming events, visit the Diversity Initiative portion of the events section.
Editing for Conscious and Inclusive Language
Microaggressions in Editing: Understanding Bias and Undoing Harm
Trans Allyship for Writers and Editors
Word List of Diversity and Contested Terms
Sensitivity Reads: A Guide for Professional Editors (booklet)
Language Bias: An Editor’s Guide to Biased Language (booklet)