Hello Chicagoland EFA!
Welcome to a new year and a new kickoff to EFA Chicagoland Chapter activities! Please join us for our preliminary Zoom meeting (see proposed dates below), where we’ll introduce ourselves, learn a bit about our interests, and talk about what we’d like to gain from our chapter affiliation. Among the topics we’ll discuss are
- what we’d like to get out of meetings (more formal or social, speakers, events, etc.);
- what meeting days and times work best; and
- how often we’d like to meet.
Below is a list of potential dates and times for the first meeting. Please respond to this email address by Jan. 18 with the dates and times that work for you, and we will let you know which date has the most people available. Choices:
- Monday, Jan. 25, at 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 27, at 5:30 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 29, at 6:30 p.m.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Kandy Hopkins & Amy Spungen
EFA Chicagoland Chapter Co-coordinators
- Miss live music? Check out the Chicago Independent Venue League, where you can listen to local music in support of independent music venues. You can also subscribe to the episodes on YouTube.
- If you’re like us, you get more done if there’s someone to hold you to account. In the Dec. 14 episode of The Editing Podcast, Louise Harnby and Denise Cowle discuss how accountability groups for editors and proofreaders can help both your personal and business lives.
- Another terrific podcast is The Deliberate Freelancer, whose latest episode discusses practicing antiracism in freelancing with guest Eva Jannotta.
- It will be a long, frustrating pandemic winter. Plenty of time to finally purge all your unwanted stuff! Give Back Box helps make it easier. Just pack a box, affix a prepaid shipping label, and either drop it off yourself or schedule a pick-up.
LET US KNOW!
Have chapter news, suggestions, ideas for events or meetings, or interesting articles, books, or apps/tools you’d like to share? Please let us know! Email the Chicagoland Chapter coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder: If applicable, update your website’s copyright to year 2021!
1 – New Year’s Day (Buckle up tight, kids—it’s gonna be a bumpy ride!)
11 – EFA Town Hall on Discussion List Moderation, 6:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m. CST [register here] 14 – EFA 2021 Virtual Winter Social, 6:00 p.m.– 7:30 p.m. CST
15 – Q4 2020 estimated taxes due
18 – Martin Luther King Jr. Day
19 – A Life in Publishing: Book editor Henry Ferris on the craft of shaping a manuscript (online; free)
20 – Inauguration Day
20 – Publishing Panel: Advice About Getting Hired, Finding Clients, and Benefiting from Professional Organizations, 6:30 p.m.–8:00 p.m. CST (online; $5–$10 for nonmembers)
2 – Groundhog Day
12 – Chinese New Year (Year of the Ox)
14 – Valentine’s Day
15 – President’s Day
16 – Paczki Day (a.k.a., Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras)
1 – Casimir Pulaski Day
4 – National Grammar Day
14 – Daylight Saving Time starts (spring forward)
17 – St. Patrick’s Day
22 – Passover (Day 1)
28 – Palm Sunday