To the Point • Mutatis Mutandis
Value your voice. Express your eloquence.
The words we use reflect our perspective of the world and our place in it. I consider points of cultural connection and dissonance to create balanced texts.
- Increases the clarity and eloquence of text
- Retains the voice of the author and of characters while writing and editing
- Balances text for a culturally diverse audience
- Prioritizes tasks to create a manageable schedule
Editing and Writing Experience
My experience as a freelance stylistic, substantive, and copy editor enhances my understanding of the rules of language while my experience as a published poet reminds me of the joy of language.
- Implements and marks changes with the editing tools of Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat
- Implements rules of style guides, including MLA, CMOS, and APA
- Presents queries and changes to clients tactfully
- Provides editing of poetry, novels, short stories, and annual reports
- Ensures standards as part of a team revising Copy Editing: Meeting Editorial Standards
- Researches, writes, and presents talks on the profession and the importance of editing
Cultural Integration Skills
My acknowledgement of diverse cultural perspectives creates cultural balance while editing texts.
- Remains alert for and re-phrases racially dismissive language while editing
- Recognizes that an audience includes members from a variety of cultures
- Promotes poems with diverse perspectives and content during selection meetings for Jonah Magazine
- Remains apprised of culturally significant events
My class activities provide practical applications of theoretical concepts.
- Explains citation and grammar rules when teaching Basic Essay Writing
- Designs curriculum for a Basic Essay Writing course
- Provides in-person and written feedback that reflects the grading rubric
- Develops and facilitates writing exercises during writing workshops
What I Do Best
Two of the projects that I have edited stand out as ideal for me as my ability to balance diverse cultural perspectives was required while editing. I provided editorial advice on an early draft of Bridging Two Peoples: Chief Peter E. Jones, 1843-1909. (My advice was given before the text was submitted to a publisher.) After publication, it went on to win the 2012 Joseph Brant Award. My stylistic and copyediting work played a more direct role in the publishing process of Nunavik, A Homeland in Transition: An Environmental and Social Evaluation of Northern Development; The Kativik Environmental Quality Commission, 1979-2009. Translators used the text that I edited to create the French and Inuit translations of the report.
Years in the field: 21
Years freelancing: 21