jamesgang creative communications
“I have spent most of the day putting in a comma
and the rest of the day taking it out.” – Oscar Wilde
Congratulations on writing a book! Now, let’s get it finished.
There are lots of moving parts to getting your book published, and it can be overwhelming. I can offer you services that will help you step-by-step along the way. You can decide how much you want to handle yourself – and what you need me to do.
- I provide Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs), or we can use yours. I prefer them so I can review the scope of work prior to starting the project.
Non-fiction | Business | Science | Spirituality | Self-help Fiction | Creative non-fiction | Memoirs |
Copy Editing and Proofreading
- I can help with copy editing, line editing, proofing, punctuation & grammar. My goal is to edit in your voice.
- Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) for manuscripts.
- AP style for news releases and public relations writing
- I am familiar with APA and MLA, as I have edited and collaborated on scientific and technical work, including white papers and manuals, but I use them infrequently; however, if your project is completed and ready for formatting and publication, I can take it from there.
- Please note: I’m not a “substantive” editor.
Formatting Print-On-Demand, ebook, and book interior design and coordination
- Once your manuscript is in shape using best practices in Microsoft® Word.docx, I proceed by importing it into professional publishing software. The closer your manuscript follows the protocol, the more time and money you’ll save. Is your manuscript ready?
- If you’re doing an eBook, it’s best to start with it as the print book can be created from it, sometimes from the completed e-Book, lowering labor costs and saving time.
- I am familiar with IngramSpark, Lulu, Amazon, and Draft2Digital (there are others). We can talk about the best practices using what’s best and easiest for you to manage. Aggregate sites save lots of time, too.
- If you aren’t comfortable with the back-in (uploading files, sizing the cover, working with a graphic designer, and managing ISBNs and Metadata), I can do this for you.
- Images? I can help with those as well, resizing and importing correctly.
See. I told you there are lots of parts.
- To reiterate … I am proud to say I excel in telling your story in your voice.
- I have 30+ years of experience as an award-winning branding and marketing director, copywriter, ghostwriter, and public relations director. Ad copy, advertorials, brochures, P.R., scripts, white papers, technical writing, radio, web content, and blogs … if there are words involved, I’ve probably written in the medium.
- I have worked in consumer and industry sectors, including retail, restaurant, real estate & construction, hospitality & tourism, health & beauty, technology, financial, theatrical, nutraceuticals, and education, including museums and historic sites. My resume lists many of the awards from various organizations and recognition from peers, which will attest to my experience.
Consultation and assistance
- ISBNs; Library of Congress requirements; bar codes; descriptions
- Assistance in deciding who should publish your work
- Assistance in setting up your accounts on Amazon, Lulu, Ingramspark, Draft2Digital, etc. Please note: Authors must set up their accounts, as you will be setting them up for your royalties as well.
- Assistance with cover art, design, and back cover copy
- Helping with uploading to publishing and distribution sites
- A standard 400-word or less news release is $200 with a phone or Zoom consultation. I coordinate with Neotrope for distribution. You work with them regarding target audiences.
The Nitty Gritty
- I schedule projects in order to devote my utmost attention to detail and usually work on a maximum of two at a time.
- I’ll keep you posted on the project’s progress.
- The industry standard, as defined by EFA and which I follow, is 250 words per manuscript page. Though I use EFA’s editorial chart as a guide, I often bundle services to benefit the client’s budget.
I will work with you in creating a collaborative environment that takes into consideration your time and money.
I am excited to hear about your project.
And visit me on:
Business phone: 8282797517
Years in the field: 38
Years freelancing: 20