Gary S. James
jamesgangcreative & communications
Gary S. James
jamesgang creative & communications
When it comes to self-publishing, I can save you time and money as I’ve been there and done it 🙂
My career was spent mostly in advertising, marketing and public relations. More about that in a minute.
I joined EFA in 2015. Since then, I have divided my time between assisting authors creating books for publication, and managing and editing content in WordPress websites.
Book/ebook production & consultation
- Mostly narrative non-fiction and creative non-fiction as projects have been in the categories of science, art, baseball, spirituality and self-help.
I work with you getting your manuscript from a Microsoft® Word.docx to a well-designed, eye-catching book or e-pub with all facets of production including:
- Front matter
- Image sizing and placement (Adobe Photoshop)
- Table of Contents
- Footnotes and Indexing
- Font selection
- Conversion from .docx to .pdf for print; .docx to .epub and .mobi
Consultation and assistance
- ISBNs; Library of Congress requirements; bar codes; descriptions
- Assistance in deciding who should publish your work
- Assistance with cover art, design and back cover copy
Work is produced using WORD for Mac (16.5); Adobe Acrobat Pro, (PDF); Affinity Producer and Affinity Photo (replacing Photoshop). My books have been published using Amazon, Lulu, Ingramspark, and for epubs, Draft2Digital.
Editorial & Manuscript Assist
- I follow Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) for books. AP is for projects requiring news releases and public relations writing (see below). I am familiar with APA and MLA as I have edited and collaborated scientific and technical work including white papers and manuals, but use infrequently. **I do not write or edit theses or dissertations.
- Non-fiction: I can help with content and substantive editing; copy editing; line editing; proofing; punctuation & grammar; manuscript evaluation; image sizing; coordination of graphic cover design.
- Fiction: I am not the best fit for developmental/substantive editing when it comes to fiction; however, I can get “under the hood” and help with editing, punctuation, etc., format and production.
- Ghostwriting:I am proud to say that listening to the client, understanding their needs and writing compelling copy has been the key to successfully excelling in telling your story in your voice.
Marketing, Advertising and Public Relations
So here’s where I can help with the cover art, marketing and promotion.
- My career spanned over 35 years in advertising, copywriting, creative direction and public relations. If words are involved, I’ve probably written in the medium: feature articles; copywriting for print, radio and television; internet blogs and content; speeches; video presentations; white papers; Powerpoint. You get the idea. (And, here’s where a lot of that ghostwriting comes into play.)
- I am a generalist in that I have worked in consumer and industry sectors including retail, restaurant, real estate & construction, hospitality & tourism, health & beauty, technology, financial, theatrical, nutraceuticals and education (including museums and historic sites). My resume lists many of the awards from various organizations and recognition from peers which will attest to my experience.
- I am proud to say that listening to the client, understanding their needs and writing compelling copy has been the key to successfully exceling in telling your story in your voice.
Public Relations & Online marketing
- As a p.r. professional and past creative director, with 40 years’ experience, I am available to help with promotion, news release writing and project management, blogging; direct mail marketing via MailChimp; Social media marketing utilizing Social Pilot; Online distribution from $50 per release to hundreds depending upon local, regional or national distribution.
- iMovie (video editing); YouTube (promotional video production); WordPress management, SMM, SEO
The Nitty Gritty:
I am available per-project, retainer or hourly. I provide Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs), or we can use yours. I prefer them so I can review the scope of work. I schedule projects in order to devote my utmost attention to detail. I keep you abreast of the project’s progress. And I do not take on too many projects at once.
I will work with you in creating a collaborative environment that takes into consideration your time and money.
I look forward to hearing about your project.
You can reach me at:
garyjay(at) jamesgangcreative(dot)com or gsjames(at)gmail(dot)com.*
*Replace the (at) and (dot) with @ and . This is to help reduce spam.
Business phone: 8282797517
Years in the field: 38
Years freelancing: 20