Gary S. James
jamesgang creative communications
Gary S. James
jamesgang creative communications
“I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out.” – Oscar Wilde
My career was spent mostly in advertising, marketing and public relations. More about that in a minute.
Now, “mostly retired,” I joined EFA in 2017.
For me, there is nothing more rewarding than collaborating with authors and individuals who are seeking assistance in getting a project from concept to completion. As an advertising creative director and writer, I can honestly say, one of my greatest strengths is the ability to listen, to understand what is needed and write compelling copy by telling the story in your voice.
I bring that experience to every project I work on and will give your project the attention it deserves.
Copy Editing and Proofreading
- I usually follow Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) for manuscripts; I recommend AP for projects requiring news releases and public relations writing (see below). I am familiar with APA and MLA, as I have edited and collaborated on scientific and technical work including white papers and manuals, but I use infrequently.
- **I do not write or edit theses or dissertations. Sorry.
- Non-fiction: I can help with content, developmental and substantive editing; copy editing; line editing; proofing; punctuation & grammar; manuscript evaluation; image sizing; and, coordination of graphic cover design.
- Fiction: Though I am not the best fit for developmental/substantive editing in fiction, I can assist with editing, punctuation, format and production.
- Ghostwriting: To reiterate … I am proud to say that I listen to you and excel in telling your story in your voice.
Print-On-Demand, ebook production & consultation
To date, books I have worked on have been narrative non-fiction and creative non-fiction in science, art, baseball, spirituality and self-help; and, novellas.
I work with you getting your manuscript from a Microsoft® Word.docx to a well-designed, eye-catching book or e-pub with all facets of production including:
- Front matter
- Image sizing and placement (Adobe Photoshop)
- Table of Contents
- Footnotes and Indexing
- Font selection
- Conversion from .docx to .pdf for print; .docx to .epub and .mobi
Consultation and assistance
- ISBNs; Library of Congress requirements; bar codes; descriptions
- Assistance in deciding who should publish your work
- Assistance with cover art, design and back cover copy
- Helping with uploading to publishing and distribution sites
Work is produced using WORD for Mac (16.5); Adobe Acrobat Pro, (PDF); Affinity Producer and Affinity Photo (replacing Photoshop). POD and ebooks have been published using Amazon, Lulu, Ingramspark, and for epubs, Draft2Digital and KDP.Amazon.
Marketing and Copywriting
So here’s where I can help with marketing and promotion, whether you’re looking for business copywriting or help promoting your book.
- My career spanned over 35 years in advertising, copywriting, creative direction and public relations. If words are involved, I’ve probably written in the medium: feature articles; copywriting for print, radio and television; internet blogs and content; speeches; video presentations; white papers; Powerpoint®. SEO, SMM, You get the idea. (And, here’s where a lot of that ghostwriting comes into play.)
- I am a generalist in that I have worked in consumer and industry sectors including retail, restaurant, real estate & construction, hospitality & tourism, health & beauty, technology, financial, theatrical, nutraceuticals and education (including museums and historic sites). My resume lists many of the awards from various organizations and recognition from peers which will attest to my experience.
- As public relations pertains to promotion, I can write news releases as part of your overall marketing program, select target markets and manage distribution; Online distribution, for example, can range from $50 per release to hundreds depending upon local, regional or national distribution.
The Nitty Gritty:
I am available per-project, retainer or hourly. I provide Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs), or we can use yours. I prefer them so I can review the scope of work. I schedule projects in order to devote my utmost attention to detail. I keep you abreast of the project’s progress. And I do not take on too many projects at once.
I will work with you in creating a collaborative environment that takes into consideration your time and money.
I look forward to hearing about your project.
You can reach me at:
garyjay(at) jamesgangcreative(dot)com or gsjames(at)gmail(dot)com.*
*Replace the (at) and (dot) with @ and . This is to help reduce spam.
Business phone: 8282797517
Years in the field: 38
Years freelancing: 20