I love editing. And over the last 20+ years, I’ve helped writers, subject matter experts, researchers, advocates, nonprofits, and others hone their content, streamline and polish their language, and achieve their goals. I’m an expert in copy editing, line editing, content editing, plain language editing and writing, proofreading, and content strategy.
Although words are my world, what I really do is help smart, passionate people find the clearest way to express their ideas. I provide the skills, wisdom, and guidance authors need to produce a final product that is error-free, clean, and accessible to the intended audience.
See my PDF for full contact information.
“This was great, Ingrid. Just what we discussed, and it really made the paper both more direct and stronger. Thank you for the work on it, as usual, I learned a lot!” –A happy client
Let’s get started!
How I Can Perfect Your Work
My multilevel editing services include:
- Correcting errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, capitalization, verb tense, subject-verb agreement, and syntax.
- Conforming text to a variety of style guides, including AP, Chicago Manual of Style, and in-house guides.
- Attending to structure, organization, length, flow, tone, and branding.
- Tailoring materials to specific audiences.
- Assessing content for cultural sensitivity, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ensuring that documents comport with content strategy.
- Editing, writing, or rewriting content in plain language.
- Providing thoughtful feedback.
Experience in Multiple Content Types
Reports, policy briefs, journal articles | fact sheets, brochures, blogs | press releases, op-eds, news and feature articles, newsletters | web content | emails, social media posts | biographies | marketing, advocacy, fundraising, and conference materials | PPTs | resumes and cover letters
Areas of Expertise
I’m adept at editing content on almost any topic. But my career has provided me with the opportunity to develop a strong lay understanding of these subjects: diverse medical and health-related topics, including public health and health literacy | nutrition | food safety | international development | nonprofits and advocacy organizations | culturally sensitive and person-first language | plain language
Education and Certificates
- Oberlin College B.A.
- Poynter ACES Certificate in Editing
- Simon Fraser University, Plain Language Certificate, in process. Courses completed: Plain Language Principles (A), Plain Language in Health Literacy (A+), Advanced User Analysis (A+), Core Principles for Graphics and Design (A+)
- NIH Plain Language Training
- Center for Plain Language, Plain Language: A Tool for Promoting Health Literacy
- EEI Communications, Certificate, Intensive Review of Grammar
Member, Editorial Freelancers Association, Society for Health Communications
Years in the field: 22
Years freelancing: 3