Dear EFA members,
We’re hiring! Are you the EFA’s next General Manager?
We know you’re passionate about the freelance workstyle and editorial professions. With the EFA’s general manager retiring soon, are you the future-focused leader and operations-minded professional EFA is looking for?
As we wish our outgoing general manager, Susannah Driver-Barstow, all the very best in this new phase of life, we are pleased to announce that we are accepting applications for a full-time position heading our small, committed staff of 3 part-time employees. Are you a committed and effective manager, able to motivate and inspire internal and external teams? Do you have superior administrative, operational, human resources, and technology skills? Do you have a background in association or nonprofit management? Would you love to expand your involvement with the EFA as we begin our second 50 years?
The role is primarily in the following areas:
Board and Governance
- This senior staff position reports to the co-executives.
- Works closely with the co-executives on payments, meetings, correspondence, member contact, Board onboarding and offboarding, and other duties.
- Works to ensure that the overall staffing needs of the Board and other volunteers are met.
- Assists Board members with meetings and projects as appropriate.
- Attends the monthly Board meeting.
Staff and Office
- Ensures that EFA members and the public receive exceptional assistance as needed.
- Supervises 3 part-time employees as well as consultants and third-party vendors.
- Manages the physical office, oversees maintenance of computer hardware and software.
- Provides and manages annual budget proposal for office and staff; works with the bookkeeper to process the EFA’s payments and maintain its financial records.
- Ensures coordination and completion of tasks and projects among the staff.
- Responsible for human resources functions such as maintaining the employee handbook, compliance, time records, and payroll.
Marketing & Communications
- Works with Board members, staff, and website developers to maintain, upgrade, and enhance the EFA website’s front end and its back-end functionality.
- Has technical, content, and strategic roles in the EFA’s communications program.
- Oversees the EFA’s Groups.io, Zoom, Dropbox, Asana, Mailchimp, and other communications accounts.
- Manages the EFA’s domain email account.
- Creates and oversees regular and ad hoc eblasts to inform and engage members; assists Board members with others.
- With other staff, provides logistical and administrative support for our biannual national conference and its website.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 6-8+ years management experience
- Passion for serving individual members and the editorial freelancing community
- Senior staff experience within an individual-membership, Board-run association, nonprofit, or literary organization highly preferred
- Experience incorporating diversity, equity, and inclusion into programs, projects, or teams
- Completion of two EFA-provided EDI training modules
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills, including familiarity with major style guides
- Highly detail and goal oriented
- Ability to work independently and successfully as part of a team
- Strong capacity to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with Board members and staff
- Superior knowledge of technology platforms and tools including WordPress, Google Drive, Groups.io, Zoom, WordPress (and basic HTML), Asana, and others
- Experience with both member- and public-facing websites; comfortable managing membership data and accounts payable
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Comfortable working and supervising in physical, virtual, and hybrid office environments
References will be required after the interview stage.
The EFA is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from people of every race, color, culture, religion or no religion, gender identity, gender expression, age, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, citizenship, education, ability, health, neurotype, marital/parental status, socioeconomic background, sexual orientation, and/or military status.
Send resume and cover letter detailing your interest in the position and including your salary requirements by May 21 to email@example.com.
New York City. The office is operating virtually until health guidelines permit return to our space in Midtown Manhattan.
**Referrals are welcome. If you know someone you think would be great for this job, please feel free to forward this ad!**